The main purpose of the ISGP is to enable qualified graduate students to pursue advanced interdisciplinary research exceeding the provisions of existing departmental programs. It facilitates neither the avoidance of academic requirements nor the pursuit of a particular definition of interdisciplinarity.
Applicants must meet the minimum admission requirement outlined by the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies.
Tuition cost, student fees, and cost of living can be calculated here. On the online application, applicants are required to provide a funding plan to support their programs of study.
DATES & DEADLINE
Online applications open on November 1st. Complete applications are due every year by January 15th @ 11:59 pm PST, for program start in the following September. All required application materials must be uploaded to your online application by the deadline. The ISGP office will not consider incomplete applications.
Applicants are evaluated by the ISGP Faculty Advisory Committee, and notified in March. If admitted, students may postpone program start date for up to one year. Students are also required to reside in Vancouver for the first year of their degree.
Application Deadline: Tuesday, January 15, 2019 (complete application including all supporting documents submitted online)
APPLICATION PROCEDURE & RECOMMENDED TIMELINE
Application to the ISGP program is a lengthy process. Successful applicants often begin the process months in advance of the application deadline. If you are considering applying to the ISGP, the first steps are to consult with the ISGP Program Chair with your research topic, and to start approaching potential supervisors.
June – July
- Start planning your research and develop a strong outline to present to potential supervisors
- (optional – NOT required) Submit a two-page Statement of Proposed Research Topic (SPRT) to firstname.lastname@example.org for consultation only. With this, you may begin a discussion with the ISGP staff about your research and your desire to apply to the program. This step also ensures that the program is suitable for you.
- File name (PDF) – “SPRT: YourName Date”
- Must include your name, email and date within the document
- Two-page maximum (not including a bibliography)
NOTE: The ISGP will not be able to review SPRTs and provide feedback after December 15th, prior to formal admission application and will only review your SPRT once.
- Begin to look for and contact two potential co-supervisors. It is a major commitment for faculty members to co-supervise your program of study; therefore we encourage you to start this process early. For tips, please click here. You may also consult the UBC Experts Guide.
September – October
- Request two (2) sets of official transcripts (in sealed and endorsed envelopes) from each of the post-secondary institutions you have attended. One set will be opened and scanned by you to upload to online application. The 2nd set will be kept sealed and sent to Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies only if you are offered admission.
- Start preparing your Curriculum Vitae (CV)
November – January
- Obtain signatures from potential co-supervisors and their Department Heads on the ISGP Home Department – Co-Supervisors Agreement.
- Fill out online application on the Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies website
- Within the online application, you will be required to upload the following attachments:
– Statement of Intent (cover letter explaining your interest in the program)
– Curriculum Vitae (CV)
– 2-page Statement of Proposed Research Topic (SPRT)
– ISGP Home Department – Co-Supervisors Agreement (signed)
- Three (3) references must be submitted through your online application either as eRef (for referees with institutional email), or as a “Report on Applicant” form / free-form letter in letterhead bearing signatures (for referees with non-institutional emails e.g. Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo…etc.).
- Two (2) sets of official transcripts (in sealed and endorsed envelopes) from each of the post-secondary institutions you have attended. One set will be opened and scanned by you to upload to online application. The 2nd set will be kept sealed and sent to Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies only if you are offered admission.
- Transcript submission guidelines are found here.
IMPORTANT NOTE: All required documents must be submitted through the online application portal as document uploads. Documents emailed or submitted in person will not be accepted.