The ISGP Allows Students to Design their own Graduate Program
ISGP is a unique program that gives students the freedom to create their own individualized graduate program based on specific research interests. It allows students to bridge two or more academic disciplines.
ISGP gives you the opportunity to
- pursue interdisciplinary research that is individually designed by the student
- select courses and research supervisors from every department at UBC
- participate in interdisciplinary lectures, workshops and seminars
- apply for funding for exceptional students
ISGP, UBC, Canada
- Ranked one of the best universities in the world
- World class education with lower tuition costs
- Consistently ranked as a top university in Canada
- Vancouver is regarded as one of the “most beautiful cities on the world”
- Home to numerous outstanding research programs and institutions
- Affordable health care
- Multicultural setting in a world class city
- Stunning natural environment
How Do I know if the ISGP is the Right Program for Me?
As you contemplate applying to ISGP, it is worth considering your goodness-of-fit into the program’s interdisciplinary ethos by asking yourself the following question:
Is it possible for my research to be completed under the umbrella of one discipline?
- If your answer is remotely ‘yes,’ then we strongly recommend that you explore the disciplinary program first by contacting them with your preliminary research proposal.
- It is not uncommon for the ISGP office to receive SPRTs that have not explicitly indicated how the research requires an interdisciplinary approach in order to be explored. This may be an indicator that your research program would be better supported in a disciplinary faculty.
- If you still decide to proceed with an application to the ISGP, you would need to provide a justification as to why your program of study can only be carried out at the ISGP. In other words: Why can’t your research proposal be carried out in another disciplinary department?