ISGP Funding Support
Funding requests are evaluated based on either merit or need. Support is granted on a one-time, non-negotiable basis. In all cases, students must show consistent, demonstrable academic progress, as well as regular communication with supervisors and the ISGP Office. Active engagement in and contribution to the Program are also considered. Requests will not be considered until the ISGP Annual Progress Report has been submitted.
All approved funding requests will apply towards the student’s tuition and UBC fees first. Students must disclose other sources of funding (e.g. sponsorships, bursary, awards) within the application. In such cases, the funding support from the ISGP may be reduced accordingly.
Since the inception of UBC’s Minimum Funding Policy for PhD students starting in September 2018, academic programs have had to make adjustments in their budgets to accommodate the implementation of this policy. To ensure current students (Pre-Sep. 2018 Start) who did not benefit from this policy to continue to thrive, eligible amounts under certain categories have been modified.
*Please note that the funding amount stated in each category is the maximum total for which a student may apply for the duration of the degree program at the ISGP.
Funding requests are considered through the application and students may apply for more than one category within the same application. The funding categories are as follows:
Master’s students are eligible to apply for a maximum of $250 once in their degree program.
Doctoral students are eligible to apply for a maximum of $500 in their degree program.
Research Funding is provided to ISGP students to offset expenditure incurred from conducting their research. ISGP students are eligible to apply for a one-time funding support for a maximum of $500.
C. Program-completion: for Pre-2018 Sep. Start ONLY
ISGP can provide a final funding top-up to assist students, who are at the final stage of completing their programs. These students are in their last academic term at UBC and must demonstrate that the funding is for their final term, and provide regular updates to the ISGP office on their progress.
Domestic students are eligible to receive a one-time support up to $3,000, while international students are eligible to receive a one-time support up to $5,000. Supervisors must email the ISGP office to confirm students’ theses completion and defence timeline.
Supplemental funding may be granted when circumstances beyond a student’s control have led to financial hardship and difficulties in paying fees, thereby potentially affecting a student’s academic progress. The nature of these requests are often need-based, and a result of financial emergency. “Supplemental” funding requests may only be submitted once a year. Requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Pre-2018 Sep. Start: Domestic students are eligible to receive a one-time support of up to $2,000, while international students are eligible to receive a one-time support of up to $3,000. Supervisors must email the ISGP office to confirm students’ satisfactory progress, and to provide a statement on how this funding support would benefit the student’s academic progress.
- Post-2018 Sep. Start: Both domestic and international students are eligible to receive a one-time support per year of up to $500 under this category. Supervisors must email the ISGP office to confirm students’ satisfactory progress, and to provide a statement on how this funding support would benefit the student’s academic progress.
1. Fill out an Application for ISGP Funding Support.
2. Submit application form to the ISGP Office.
3. Once approved, award will be assigned to your SSC account to “accept”.
There is no deadline for this funding application.
UBC Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (G+PS): Graduate Student Travel Fund
In addition to applying for conference travel grants offered through the ISGP, graduate students may also apply to the Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies’ Graduate Student Travel Fund.
Payment and application procedure information for this grant is available on G+PS Awards and Financial Aid web page.